Time To Be Bold is a national public service awareness campaign through the Independent Living Older Individuals who are Blind Technical Assistance Center (OIB-TAC) at the National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision. The OIB-TAC and this campaign are funded by the Dept. of Education Rehabilitation Services Administration, which also funds services and training for individuals with visual impairments, including vocational rehabilitation (VR) and the Independent Living Older Individuals who are Blind (OIB) programs nationally.
The Time To Be Bold campaign is designed to educate, engage and empower people who are 55+ with low vision to maintain/regain their independence by utilizing the free or low-cost services provided by the RSA-funded OIB programs.
- Over 3 million Americans 55 and older have difficulty seeing even when wearing glasses.
- Almost 1 in 10 individuals age 75 or older reports difficulty seeing, even when wearing glasses.
- Each U.S. state and territory offers free or low-cost services to help individuals adjust to vision loss.
- It is estimated that less than 5% of individuals with vision loss, who are eligible for services seek them each year.
- It can be challenging to find services, which is one major reason we created this campaign.
Go to timetobebold.org for a list of free or low-cost services in your state that will give you the tools, technology, training, and support you need to live your bold, best life.