- Participate fully and actively in Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) meetings and efforts.
- Work actively on at least one committee or work team of the SILC.
- Engage fully in the development of the state plan.
- Actively promote the principles of independent living and the efforts of the SILC.
- Contribute to advertising and promoting public hearings, forums, conferences, and other events related to SILC and independent living.
- Help facilitate development of new independent living leaders within the state.
- Contribute to the continuous search for and development of new SILC members.
- Commitment to the principles of consumer control and self determination for people with disabilities.
- Belief in principles of equal access and equal opportunity.
- Commitment to the complete integration of people with disabilities into full participation in all areas of life and society.
- A strong sense and practice of Honesty, integrity, and respect for the values of others.
- Strong personal code of ethics and self discipline that include: Maintaining confidentiality, avoiding conflict of interest, and refraining from using the SILC for self promotion and personal gain.
- Team working skills.
- Knowledge and/or experience with independent living.
- Knowledge and/or experience in state and federal advocacy, fundraising, public relations, program development, or other activities that will help advance the SILC mission.